Only 10% of the whisky produced is bottled as a Dalwhinnie Single Malt. The 15-year-old is one of them. The remaining 90% contributes to the highly acclaimed Black & White blended scotch whisky. That means there’s only a 1 in 10 chance of getting a Dalwhinnie dram.
Dalwhinnie, a small village up in the Scottish Highlands, has a population of only 80. You read that right: eight zero. The village has a small school, an inn, a train station, a pub, and of course, the Dalwhinnie Distillery established by John Grant in 1897. Basic amenities, that’s all that’s needed.
It’s a small distillery with only one wash and one spirit still. At an altitude of 1,100 feet above sea level, the Dalwhinnie is recognised as the coldest and literally the highest (not in proof) distillery in all of Scotland.